I hope you have weathered the storm. As the city begins to recover from the devastation of hurricane Sandy, there will continue to be great need for volunteers and funds to support relief efforts. Though this list is sure to grow in the coming days, here are a few organizations in the NYC area that are on the front lines helping with recovery efforts that could use your financial support today:
- Citymeals on Wheels: Delivers meals to homebound elderly New Yorkers
- Food Bank NYC: Warehouses and distributes free food for over 1.5 million hungry New Yorkers each year.
- NYC Mayor’s Fund : contributions will help support relief efforts in New York City
- Red Cross : Red Cross provides shelter, food, health and mental health services to help families and entire communities get back on their feet.
- Brooklyn Community Foundation:in the process of working with local business and government to establish a charitable fund to benefit recovery efforts in Brooklyn.
- Masbia: Providing hot meals to evacuees at the Park Slope Armory Shelter
- RedHookRecovers: A community organized site that allows people to offer/request assistance.
- Red Hook Initiative: Need donations especially pre-prepared food (including food for children), candles, utensils such as spoons and bowls, jugs of water, flashlights, batteries, power strips, toiletries, papers towels, and paper for printing fliers.
[photo credit: BillSosin_City]